Industrial visit by the Department of Civil Engineering:
Industrial visit is very important to any student undergoing professional education such as Engineering, Business management, Biotechnology, Pharmacy, Architecture and many more, no institute providing these courses has got enough infrastructure to showcase all the real working equipment, machinery, operational methodology and everything else, that students will come across once they enter into professional field, after the completion of their respective courses, so these industrial tours are an effort to bridge this gap of practical exposure. One important objective of engineering course is a desire to prepare graduates to quickly become productive upon entering the workforce. According to Sanroman Pazos and Longo (2010), industrial visits give students insight into their future professions by giving them the opportunity to observe industrial processes in operation.
In the year 2017, the department of civil engineering organized several industrial visits to various construction sites for final year students. The industrial visit has its own importance in a career of civil engineering students. Industrial visits are an important part of the curriculum at BSAITM, so as to make students become well-familiar with professional environments. Hence to get a little insight on how the work is done in the industry and hence, a glimpse of their life after they leave the college. The objective of the industrial visit is to provide students an insight regarding the internal working of various companies. All third and final year students went on industrial tour several times. They visited various construction sites in Noida and heavy steel structures in Faridabad. There are several benefits of industrial visits but for some of the students, it might be little boring and for some shocking, as it indeed is entirely different from college curriculum.
The civil engineering department at BSAITM regularly organizes industrial visits to acquire technical activities involved in construction sites, production of building materials, etc. For students, these visits focus on learning through interaction with managers/in charge who share with the students the recent developments, strategies and market moves of the industry.
Outcomes of industrial visit:
- It helps students gain first-hand information regarding the functioning of the Industry.
- Industry visits bridge the gap between theoretical training and practical learning in a real-life environment.
- Industry visits provide an opportunity for active/interactive learning experiences in-class as well outside the classroom environment.
- With industry visits, students are able to better identify their prospective areas of work in the overall organizational function.
- Industry visits help enhance interpersonal skills and communication techniques.
- Students become more aware of industry practices and regulations during industry visits.
- Industry visits broaden the outlook of students with exposure to different workforces from different industries.
- Provides an opportunity to plan, organize and engage in active learning experiences both inside and outside the classroom
- It is Mandatory in various Indian universities hence it also full fills certain curriculum requirements.
- Provides an insight into the real working environment of the Industry.
- Helps them to see their future place in the working world.
- This also serves as a relationship building process between institutes and industry.
- Many of the companies also use it as a tool for building brand awareness.
- Helps to understand the do’s and don’ts of the industrial practice